POSITION TITLE: HOMICIDE ATTORNEY
FULL TIME POSITION
APPLY ONLINE (External Link)
DEPARTMENT: Public Defender
SALARY: $79,280 to $103,064, depending on relevant experience.
POSITION REPORTING: Chief Public Defender
SUMMARY: To represent all adult criminal defendants charged in both capital and non-capital homicide cases.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- JD Degree;
- Be a member in good standing of the Bar of this Commonwealth;
- Be an active trial practitioner with a minimum of 7 years criminal litigation experience;
- Have served as lead or co-counsel in a minimum of 8 significant cases that were given to the jury for deliberations. A ‘‘significant case’’ for purposes of this rule is one that charges murder, manslaughter, vehicular homicide, or a felony for which the maximum penalty is 10 or more years;
- Completed or complete within 6 months of employment, the educational requirements of Pa. Rule of Criminal Procedure 801;
- Be willing to accept both non-capital and capital cases.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands or arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and depth perception.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.