POSITION TITLE: ATTORNEY I
FULL TIME POSITION
APPLY ONLINE (External Link)
DEPARTMENT: Public Defender
SALARY: $59,160 – $76,908, depending on relevant experience.
POSITION REPORTING: Chief Public Defender
SUMMARY: The Montgomery County Office of the Public Defender is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Public Defender in the Trial Unit. The Montgomery County Office of the Public Defender has over 40 attorneys who represent adults and juveniles in criminal matters through trial, sentencing, and appeals. Clients receive collaborative representation through a team of dedicated professionals who specialize in criminal and juvenile defense. We provide the highest quality representation to our clients and prioritize a holistic, client centered, and community-oriented practice with the ultimate goals of securing the best possible outcomes in our clients’ cases, ameliorating the conditions that led to their involvement in the justice system, and improving the overall outcomes for their lives.
This position is an attorney representing adult/juvenile clients in all phases of the adult/juvenile process from the time the case is received by the adult/juvenile Clerk of Courts or, if applicable, the preliminary hearing/detention/intake hearing stage, through sentencing/disposition to ensure that client’s due process rights are protected. This position’s requirements may also involve an attorney in representing clients in the appellate process from the initial filing of the notice of appeal through the Pennsylvania appellate court system.
Experience shall include not only prior appellate work and briefing and oral argument but also experience as a judicial law clerk in preparing common pleas opinions. This position’s requirements may, alternatively, include an attorney in representing state prison clients in state parole board proceedings involving revocation hearings through panel hearings in all stages of the state parole litigation process. Such experience shall include meeting with state parole clients, preparing for state parole hearings and also preparing case for, if necessary, appeal to the Commonwealth Court.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Reviewing case files, interviewing clients and other pertinent witnesses;
- Making in-depth referrals to the investigations and social services units;
- Representation at pre-trial conferences, trials; provides preparation of post-sentence motions, briefs; attends sentencing hearings; prepares and handles all post-sentence hearings. Works with Case Management Chief or designated team leader as needed for Pre-Trial Conferences and Trial List days with trial team in case resolution;
- Representation at probation/parole violation hearings, juvenile, state parole, mental health, extradition, and other miscellaneous pretrial hearings.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- JD Degree;
- Admission to Bar of Supreme Court of Pennsylvania;
- Knowledge of the criminal justice system. Criminal Trial experience preferred;
- Must be able to work under pressure and multi-task;
- Ability to work long hours;
- Mobility important for courtroom work and for client/witness meetings;
- Comfortable with using hardware and software in support of criminal case management;
- Spanish-speaking highly preferred, but not required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands or arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and depth perception.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Comments are closed